Monday, November 22, 2010

Barcelona baby

Hola chicos y chicas,

First off, I'd just like to mention that spanish is not the primary language of Barcelona, which is incredibly annoying. The primary language is Catalan, and has only been so for the past 10 to 15 years. The reason why this is, is that the province that Barcelona is in wants to be independent from Spain. Therefore, they force this language upon the region, although it sounds nothing like spanish: actually, it's more of a combination of German and French than anything else. Not knowing this, me and my friends were very confused when we couldn't understand many of the signs in the airport, although most of us could speak spanish. Oh well.

Once we got off the plane, it took us some time to find where we were sleeping. We were staying with my family's very good friends who live in the city, but the streets in Barcelona are confusing to the max, and we didn't get there till 1AMish. This family, the Oriol's, were so nice. Matt and I had no complaints whatsoever.

For our first day in Barcelona, we headed out to La Sagrada Familia. It was loopy. It's design was the type that your supposed say to "Yeah Gaudi, that's a great idea you got there. But..." Instead, they actually built it. In all seriousness though, it is pretty cool. The statues in the front of the church are definitely unique. Looking at churches like La Sagrada Familia though, I can't help but thinking that the art of sculpture has gone backwards since the time of the greats.

Our first night in Barcelona, we went out to a party outside of the city. On our way there, we actually were part of a car accident on the highway. The driver was looking for something in the car, and swerved into the traffic coming the other way. Our car just missed another car, and both lost their mirrors. I was pretty scared.

The party was alot of fun though. We made many friends and ended up hanging out with a girl we met in the city the next day. She walked us around, and showed us much of the city that Matt and I had missed the previous day. That night, the Oriol's took me and Matt out to dinner. What he had was called: "Tapas," which where you order many different dishes of food, and share them all. It was absolutely delicious.

Our last day, the Oriol's went with me and Matt on a tour of the Barcelona FC stadium. For me, it was the coolest part of Barcelona. I definitely want to go back to a game one day. We toured the locker rooms, the press conference room, etc. They even had the actual World Cup Trophy there! It was the coolest thing. I probably took more pictures of the stadium than the rest of Barcelona to be honest.

Jacimo.

Pictures: aqui.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds awesome! I wish I was so lucky! What's your number?

    ReplyDelete