Saturday, November 6, 2010

10 Day - Brussels

Hey guys,

On to Brussels. Before I get going, I just want to let you guys know that I'm cracking up as I write this, as I think it's pretty funny that I'm drinking wine and blogging instead of hanging out with the crew tonight. Not that I don't enjoy updating my blog and all, but this is not something I could picture myself doing before tonight. (No worries Dad and Mom, just a few glasses. )

From Paris, we took a 2 hour train to Brussels. We got there around 9PM, and I decided to stay with my priest friend in Leuven, Fr. Mahar, about a 45 minute train ride outside of Brussels, while my friends decided to stay in the city. Due to a mix-up at the train station, I got to the American College, were I was to be staying, around 12:30PM. Even so, Fr. Mahar took me out to dinner and we had a great time. Belgium apparently is world-famous when it comes to their beer, and I immediately fell in love with the one that Fr. Mahar ordered for me, the La Trappe Quadrupel. (No worries Dad and Mom, just a few glasses.)

The next day, I headed into the city. Brussels is also well known for it's waffles and chocolate, and both are delicious. "The Waffle Factory" probably has the best value for their waffle around town. We started off the day going to a place that was well known to be the best waffle place around for breakfast, and started walking about the city. Brussels has some amazing architecture, especially in the main square of the city. Check out the pictures.

One of the funniest things I stumbled across during my 10 day was that the national symbol of Brussels, similar to the US's bald eagle, is a peeing boy. What possessed the leader of Belgium to do something like that eludes me, but I think it's pretty funny nonetheless. Another ridiculous aspect of Brussels is a urinal built against a church, so you can urinate against one legally ... obviously a popular tourist attraction.

That night, we ended up in the Delirium, a world famous bar that boasts the "world's best beer," the Delirium Tremens, as well as more than 30 beers on tap, making it one of the largest bars in the world. It was pretty cool. Just don't try to steal one of the Delirium Tremens special cup, as they taser people outside for it. Sometimes I feel like I could summarize Brussels in 3 words: beer, waffles, and chocolate. But mostly beer. (No worries Dad and Mom, just a few glasses.)

The best,

Jacimo

PS. PICTURES: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=564095&id=824235363&l=a30861dade






No comments:

Post a Comment